Tapping into the lucrative U.S. market is on many Swedish startups' agenda. However, developing a framework to establish a U.S. presence is not straightforward. The U.S. is a unique market and requires a thorough and concrete strategy in order to avoid costly missteps.
How can Swedish startups develop a successful strategy to take on the U.S., plug into the San Francisco Bay Area's startup ecosystem and accelerate their international expansion?
If your startup has passed its validation phase and has traction in Sweden, you are ready to tackle this question with our program, SURGE: Startups Undergoing Rapid Growth and Expansion.
A TWO WEEK STARTUP PROGRAM IN THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA
Participating companies will get to:
- Work with a dedicated and experienced mentor specific to your company’s industry
- Visit prominent SF Bay Area companies and participate in networking events with innovative companies and entrepreneurs
- Participate in workshops focused on:
- Lessons learned by established Swedish companies in the Bay Area
- Establishing a business in the U.S. and U.S. business culture
- Immigration and legal issues including administration and reporting compliance
- Use Business Sweden workspace in San Francisco together with other Swedish startups
SURGE will occur in the San Francisco Bay Area during November 7-18th, with an introductory workshop in Stockholm on September 23rd
Participants will have time available and are encouraged to arrange meetings and attend events in the Bay Area outside of the scope of SURGE
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
Applicant companies should be able to meet the following criteria to participate in SURGE:
- Company has traction/proof of concept in Sweden or Scandinavia, and is beyond a validation phase
- Company is “market-ready” and preparing to establish and grow on the U.S. market
- Commitment of company CEO or key decision-maker to participate for the entirety of program
HOW TO APPLY?
Business Sweden USA accepts applications on a rolling basis for 6 company spots per program. Due to limited available space, we urge interested companies to apply as soon as they are able.
- Submit a current pitch deck, current business plan, and a Statement of Purpose, no longer than 300 words, briefly summarizing your company’s plans and ambitions for the U.S. market to SURGE@business-sweden.se
A jury of industry professionals and Business Sweden staff will screen all applications and select 5-6 startups for participation in SURGE. The applications for the November 2016 program will be reviewed on a first come first serve basis and are due by October1st, 2016.
There will be a participation fee of SEK 20,000 for the companies selected to participate in SURGE (by submitting an application you also commit to paying the participation fee, should you be selected)
For more information and/or to express interest, please contact:
Business Sweden USA
T: +1 415-835-3002